Sunday, August 21, 2011

Up Close and Personal

“Thence up he flew, and on the Tree of Life,The middle tree and highest there that grew,  Sat like a cormorant.~ John Milton

I've never been this close to a cormorant, nor do I expect I ever will again. This was obviously a young one by the way it behaved. It was sitting on the guard rail in Maplewood Friday afternoon. It allowed me to get in quite a few good shots before it flew away. Oddly enough, as it flew off, we saw a crane, wings spread wide, also leaving the scene. Unfortunately,I was too slow for that shot.



8 comments:

  1. Awesome pics. The first one looks like he asking "What you looking at?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SuziCate. I hardly expected to get a photo as we drove past the first time and then had to turn around. But it kept sitting there.

    I agree in the first shot that cormorant is certainly showing some attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos...never seen one this close either...cool webbed feet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ericka, I couldn't believe it sat there for as long as it did, or that it was so far inland . I always imagined they stayed close to salt water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots, Laura. I've never seen one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Patti---We see them around the Lahave River different times when we go into town, but always from a distance. I never imagined seeing on so far inland. He didn't seem spooked by our truck when we passed. Just a bit laid back if you aske me.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Joylene. Glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete