Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Christmas Tree Capital of the World


"Symbolizing eternal hope, the wreath goes 'round and 'round, And where it starts or ends cannot be found. Woven of things that grow - for life, and hung for holiday delight. The wreath must be left in place from Advent through Twelfth Night.”


I've known for many years that Lunenburg County held the title of  "The Christmas Tree Capital of the World." While, once upon a time, a small part of Dalhousie over-lapped into Lunenburg County, this is no longer true today. Got to love Government for messing with the boundry lines. Still, Christmas trees are grown and cut in our area each fall. And with Christmas trees also comes the making of wreaths. 
Shown here are 715 12" wreath, baled and ready to be loaded.



This year I tied 1065 wreaths by hand. My daughter helped clip and pack some of the brush for these.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for a peek behind the scenes of where wreaths are born. :) That's a lot of hand tying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds like a lot of work!! I love fresh greenery, especially at Christmas. I don't have wreaths per se, but have made three sprays for outdoor use this year. Despite the conflicting arguments about whether natural or artificial greens are more ecologically responsible, we've always had natural trees and the house smells *so* good! We have three trees this year... one in the family room, one in the living room and another small tabletop one in the guest room. Eventually they'll be chipped for mulch so I don't feel too guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Patti----Yes, a lot of work is involved in wreath-making, but I like it. For us, here, it's always been a part of Christmas.

    @Carol--Nothing can take the place of a fresh cut tree. I think chipping the for mulch is a good way to dispose of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! That's a lot of wreaths. I've done a few in my life, so know the basics. It's a lot of work to do it right.

    ReplyDelete