Thursday, March 17, 2011

Oh yeah, we burn wood!

The smell of wood smoke is carried on the breeze, sometimes subtle, sometimes overpowering, most times pleasant. It is an essential part of rural living, and of life here in Dalhousie.

“You just can’t beat wood heat.”   

Out here in Dalhousie if you haven’t made that statement at one time, or if you haven’t heard it, I’m almost tempted to say you can’t be living in rural Nova Scotia.


I’ve burned wood all my life. When I was growing up in Dalhousie most homes were heated with wood. I think most people still do today.



Lots of wood piles cropping up in the area, getting ready for another winter. We like to look ahead. Wood needs to be seasoned and burning green wood will never do.

 Do we still burn wood out here? Oh yeah, we burn wood!



4 comments:

  1. I love the smell of wood smoke. It reminds me of home. I don't smell it very often in the city but whenever I do it brings a smile to my face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So often we take things for granted and it seems that only after we are older do we look back at those bygone days with fondness. Sounds as though you miss rural living?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are fabulous! I enjoyed hearing the water rushing over the rocks! Blessings to you, Laura...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Carol Ann! Nice to see you here. The book is behind our house and runs into a lake. We've spent a good deal of time at that brook especially when the kids were young and liked to go fishing.

    ReplyDelete