Saturday, March 26, 2011

Welcome to the Sugar Shack

"The forest is a peculiar organism of unlimited kindness and benevolence that makes no demands for its sustenance and extends generously the products of its life and activity; it affords protection to all beings.   ---Buddhist Sutra 
There is a sugar shack a few miles out of Dalhousie. Today, on our way into town we stopped to buy some maple sugar and take a few photos. 
A Sugar shack in Maplewood, N.S.

Maple sap is boiled down in an evaporator












The evaporator burns between 25-30 cords of wood a season
 Maple sugar in the mold.


8 comments:

  1. Wow, they burn a lot of wood!

    Oh, and feel free to bring a taste of that maple sugar up this way please! (I've never had maple sugar before, I don't believe...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it does burn a lot of work. This isn't a large operation at all so I can't imagine how much a bigger maple sugar producer would burn..

    We could be persuaded to bring some maple candy with us..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to visit a real sugar shack and taste the maple sugar first hand. It is on my list of things to do. Thanks for the great pictures and I love the new blogsite. I have trouble keeping up with one. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will probably go a few times this year as it is so handy.The man who owns the shack is very nice and we like supporting his business. He looks for us every year, I think.

    Oh I'm not that amazing. This blog is more about uploading photos and I like doing that.Thanks for following me over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. Yum yum. Had to go eat a spoonful of maple butter when I saw this post. Maple is one of the food groups in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jodi,the best part is it's actually a sugar that's good for us! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you'll have to check out the other Sugar Sack in the other direction not too far from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I haven't been there before,but I hear it's quite something. Thanks for dropping in and for leaving a comment..Always nice to have a fellow ex-Dalhousian drop in. Maybe that should be Dalhousite.. LOL

    ReplyDelete